Sunday 24 March 2013

Making Our Mark

My pitch to be one of the SNP Candidates for the European Election


MAKING OUR MARK IN EUROPE AND THE WORLD

Friends

 Thanks to my colleagues who have supported me, the

Constituencies who nominated me, all of you for to speaking to

 Me and my colleagues who hope to represent Scotland in Europe.


I joined the SNP at 16 years of age,

 My first subs were paid for with my paper round -   in those days

I was paid a penny a paper!


 It was a long paper-round.


What drew me to this party almost 25 years ago is that it best reflects the values of

Internationalism, Social democracy and compassion for those at

home and abroad that we all share.


In submitting my name, I am so conscious of the serious

 Responsibility to deliver for the people of Scotland.


The responsibility to make our mark in Europe and across the

World.


We all know what happens in Europe is crucial to Scotland.

 Why else are our opponents trying using the EU as a scare story

Against Independence

Why else are they trying to create problems when none exist?

Why are they so scared of a strong Scottish voice in Europe?


What matters to Scotland is to build relationships and provide a

 Positive contribution to the EU and beyond.


Our opponents prefer an insular and narrow minded argument


I hope to follow in some pretty big footsteps because over

Centuries scots have made their mark in Europe.


 like the very first President of our party Robert Bontine

Cunninghame Graham, who

Made his mark travelling seeing the potential of a Europe of

Enterprise compassion and democracy

 before becoming a folk hero in South America.

  A former Liberal MP, founder of the Scottish Labour Party, who

Then made his political Journey to found the SNP

 He remains an inspiration to all of us, and dare I say should to the labour party

Here in Scotland

 After all he decided that the snp was the true home for the values

Of fairness and equality……………..


Some years later another great Scot, Winnie Ewing, an inspiration

to us all, gave Scotland a powerful Voice in Europe,

 securing for the Scottish Highlands European Funding.

And now today in the European Parliament our mep’s are

Doing great work to ensure Scotland’s voice is heard.


So what do I want to do?  I spent the first years of my life in

Drumchapel. I have seen communities in poverty. and seen the

desperate need for investment, and neglect from an uncaring

 Westminster

To suit its anti european agenda the UK Continues to fail to apply

for Funding that could transform Scottish Communities.



Whether it is funding for small and medium business, or social

funds to help the long term unemployed, I will fight to get the

best deal for Scotland


I want to represent Scotland to ensure all of our communities get

Access to funds vital in securing recovery


I want Scotland to continue to make its mark by showing our abilities as a nation to make

friends and to ensure that our interests are respected


In looking at the stories of our friends and partners, in Europe, we

can see why Independence is Essential. 


 Scots are being ground down by a cold, ideological cuts agenda

 That few recognise or support.


If we are in a worldwide crisis why are other countries taking a

different route?

 Take America, where President Obama recognises investment in

people and jobs is the most Effective recession busting strategy….


Can they see that at Westminster?  No they can’t!


 On my first day in Brussels I will fight against the tory

Threat to abandon the social chapter, an agreement that

has improved the lives of millions of working people including

here in Scotland


   We know that Independence will protect the rights of working people

 Westminster repeatedly fails to do so,


I support our MEP’s in seeking changes to Procurement

regulations, which are currently complex and problematic

So that decisions affecting Scottish workers and their families are

taken here in Scotland. so we can strengthen the

Rights of workers, so we can boost their wages, so we can create thriving communities,


I am ready to play my part in that transformation


Those who of you who know me are aware, in my Trade

 Union Activism, my experience of negotiation, and the issues I hold dear. 


 In Europe I will work tirelessly on issues that matter and impact

 on the lives of scots every single

Day,


 standing up for our fishing communities

  And our farming and rural communities

Standing up for the Cities where lack of investment has left

Deprivation that shame a country prevented from doing so much

More for its people

I will stand up for Every Scottish community abandoned by every

Westminster party


 Selection for the list is a very great honour, as is the opportunity

 To serve our nation.

 I realise you have a difficult decision to make.

 I know how I will cast my vote, but

Everyone submitting their name is an asset to our party.


 I hope you support my nomination and

I look forward to campaigning alongside all of you for the

European election to come and as we deliver independence

For Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment